Week #1 of development of ISS
Here was I, just completed my military service in my country and returned to my home without nothing, but the decision to create a game. Easy to say. I’ve read some hundreds of times indie(Magazine); tutorials about flashpunk when I was in the army, and finally decided to create a music game with Flixel. But from the beginning I got stuck with the complexity of Flixels’ hierarchy. Seeing the community of flashpunk and the competitions that were being organized I dumped flixel for flashpunk and started over, with the tutorials of how to create a Space Invaders in FlashPunk from indie(Magazine);. The result was pretty good, and after a day, I decided to develop the game as I wanted.
My first alpha was, with a menu that only the option for new game worked. There was only one basic level with the positions of the enemies hardcoded in two fors. I was just beginning to use FlashPunk (and I was neither pro to as3) so I just tested some things like the useful FP.console which shows the entities that were in the level, the total memory that is used, the x, and y position of the mouse, the hitboxes and much more. The graphics were found in the free internetz without any concern about copyrights since I would change them. Particles didn’t exist, enemies didn’t shoot, player didn’t win, the overall game design was crap. The only good thing I did in Alpha 01 was the background with an image as two backdrops, that moved as a parallax background. But that gave me trouble later especially in memory consumption.
So that was alpha 01. You can find the dump swf here.